1. Use real life experiences as the basis for your funny videos. We can learn a lot from our lives and how to funny just so happens to be one of them. We have all experienced the horrors of a family vacation gone wrong, the insanity of uncles and aunts and the trauma of little toddler terrors. Use these experiences and build on them or try to capture the moment on film if it’s a regular occurrence.
2. Give your funny video clip a point or a message to convey. Random funny videos are easy to come by but not many of them succeed in actually being humorous. Give your video a focal point that conveys an important or fundamental message. For example, a humorous pet video where your pint sized cat takes on your giant sized dog… and wins could give whole new meaning to the phrase “Pick on someone your own size”.
3. Many times jokes and funny videos will come in three defined sections. First prepare your audience with the open shot, introduce them to the film and what’s going on. Then give them a detailed look at the video in general, the middle of the film is the meat of the video, it need sot grab their attention, keep them guessing and build up to the grand finale. Lastly, the third section of the film is the punch line just like in a three panel comic strip. This is where the big guns come out and the audience is captured with a big hearty and deep laughter. If you can master these three areas in your video, you will be on to a sure winner.
4. Set yourself a target to work with. A great funny video has a target whether it is yourself or an unsuspecting family member. Usually these targets are pets, cute babies and toddlers or yourself.
5. Make sure you know your audience inside out. If your funny video isn’t appealing to your target audience it isn’t going to be very funny to anyone. If your funny video is designed for teenagers and pre-teens, talking about grandma’s addiction to bingo isn’t going to be that funny for them. Pick a topic that your target audience knows about well and experiences in everyday life.
6. Avoid anything that is un-pc in nature. Racists, sexist and other such jokes can get you into a lot of trouble and it also automatically takes away a large chunk of your potential audience. These kinds of jokes are only funny to a few people and you could end up in serious trouble over them.
7. Avoid “in-jokes”. If you want people to laugh at your hilarious video clips, make sure they are funny for everyone. Jokes between friends are great but they may not be so funny when other people see or hear them. Make your jokes universal to avoid funny film flops.
8. Reinvent the classics. If you can do this well it could be your ticket to funny video stardom. There is a reason these jokes got to become known as the classics. Give them a fresh new outlook in your funny videos.